The Wellness Groups are stand-alone programs within the The Green Apple. They have been designed to provide supervised safe, prescriptive exercise in a group setting. Most clients at tending a Wellness Group will attend twice weekly.
Lifestyle Wellness members at the Green Apple have access to the Wellness Groups at no additional cost Each Wellness Group participant has two induction sessions for their appropriate class with an exercise physiologist or trained instructor to ensure that they have their own personalised Wellness Group program. Once this induction is completed, they do this program within the group setting. Each induction session costs $53 and can be funded in various ways: with an Enhanced Primary Care referral, partially with private health insurance (to see an exercise physiologist) or privately self-funded.
Lift for Life
Lift for Life is an evidence-based strength training program born out of more than a decade of research by Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute. Clinical trials showed an average reduction in HbA1c of 1.2% over a 6-month period, providing irrefutable evidence that increasing and maintaining muscle mass assists with controlling blood glucose in people with Type 2 diabetes.
- Purpose: To provide a strength-based exercise class for type 2 diabetics.
- Times: Wednesday and Friday 12pm
- Cost: 10 sessions for $105
Lungs in Action
Lungs in Action aims to extend the benefits of rehabilitation by providing a safe environment in which those with stable chronic lung disease can maintain physical and social activities. Primarily intended for people who have completed a pulmonary rehabilitation program and are looking to maintain and improve their health and function. However we also welcome anyone looking to manage other less severe respiratory conditions.
- Purpose: To provide a safe class for clients with COPD supervised by specially trained leaders.
- Times: Monday & Wednesday 2pm
- Cost: 10 sessions for $105 or $12 per visit
Steady Steps is a falls prevention program developed in conjunction with Queensland Health to facilitate better balance, coordination and strength with an emphasis on fun!
- Purpose: To provide appropriate strengthening equipment as well as a safe class for clients with poor balance to practice exercises under the supervision of specially trained leaders.
- Times: Tuesday 12pm & Thursday 1pm
- Cost: 10 sessions for $105 or $12 per visit
Heartgrooves is based on the popular Heart Moves program and is a low to moderate intensity exercise program that was developed by the Heart Foundation to assist people to become more active and live a healthy lifestyle despite health challenges.
- Purpose: To provide an exercise group class for clients who may have multiple chronic conditions, which will also provide safe follow-up exercise for post cardiac surgery rehabilitation programs.
- Times: Monday 12pm, Tuesday & Friday 1pm
- Cost: 10 sessions for $99 or $12 per visit
My Health for Life
My Health for Life is a free lifestyle program available to eligible participants who want to improve their health and reduce their risk of developing chronic disease.
Conditions such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke, are often linked to lifestyle factors. The My Health for Life program helps people reduce their risk of developing these types of conditions by showing how small lifestyle changes can have major health benefits. It is about keeping your health on track to prevent
Program fast facts:
- The program is free
- It is delivered by qualified health professionals in local areas
- It involves six sessions over six months – the time commitment required is not big
- The first session is a personalised one-on-one appointment
- The remaining sessions are flexible, offering the choice of phone coaching or small groups.
- People aged 45 years and over who have been identified by a health professional as being at high risk of chronic disease (which includes type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke).
- People aged 18 years and over who are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent who are at high risk of chronic disease.
- Age 18 years and over with pre-existing conditions (e.g. previous history of Gestational diabetes or have been diagnosed with high blood pressure or high cholesterol).
What to expect
My Health for Life believes healthy change is best in small, manageable steps. Participants learn how to set realistic health goals and are supported on their journey to achieve healthy change. The program is not only for people wanting to lose weight – everyone has their own reasons for improving their health.
To discover if you are eligible for the program, please CLICK HERE and remember to say that you want to do it at the Green Apple!